Thursday, August 20, 2009

Alessandro Del Piero: I Hope To Be There Against Chievo Verona

Juventus legend Alessandro Del Piero is in confident mood, and hoping to play in the Serie A opener against Chievo Verona on Sunday night.

The captain has shaken off a recent back problem and he is in contention to feature as he aims to help Juve pick up their first points of the season.

"I am fine, the recovery is going well. I am aiming for Sunday and I should be available to play if everything goes well," Del Piero told the press.

"I hope I play and we are aiming to win. We want to start well, but it's the pitch that decides."

Winning the Scudetto is likely to be a race between Inter and the Old Lady. Del Piero believes his side have the qualities to wrestle the Tricolore from their bitter rivals.

"We have no reason to envy Inter. We know they are the team to beat based on the recent history.

"We have high quality and have strengthend well with the arrival of important players."

Del Piero has also defended Marcello Lippi from Jose Mourinho's recent jibes.

The Inter coach had claimed Lippi offended him when he predicted that Juventus would win the Scudetto, and a considerable row between both men followed.

"I hope Lippi doesn't make a mistake in his prediction seeing that he got it right last year," added the captain.

"Was it a lack of respect? I was not offended when he said Inter would win it last year. There was nothing wrong in it."

No comments:

Post a Comment